Thursday, May 29, 2014

The card I almost didn't receive

This past year on my birthday my daughter told me she had found and purchased the perfect card for me however it had somehow gotten lost.  She returned to the store and tried to find it but it wasn't there. She said I’m sorry but here is the other card, the one that doesn't say what I wanted to tell you.  I laughed opened and enjoyed the sweet card.  

Fast forward 3 months, my daughter brought up the lost card again. She lamented having deep cleaned her room and still no card.  My son overhearing her, asked her about it and they walked off sharing the story with one another.  They went to their dads for visitation the next evening and when they returned home my daughter said we found the card mom, it was hidden at dads but we found it. 

I opened the card “Mom You love with passion. Live with purpose and embrace life’s possibilities. And you've taught me to do the same. Thank you for inspiring me year after year.”  She signed it “I really really really love you mom. Happy Birthday”.  A contented sigh escaped my lips, the card was perfect. It described me so vividly, how I approach life post-divorce.  I was so grateful my children recognize the way I love life and those around me. 


The lost card was validation that I am not wasting my time, I am setting the example I want my children to see.  Two days later, my daughter tagged me on an Instagram post “You are my inspiration”.  This time I teared up.  It was simple, small and perfect.  The card and then the IG post, confirmation that the divorce was the right path to take, confirmation my children are beautiful and healthy and successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment