Thursday, January 16, 2014

Taking it in stride....

When things in our life don't go as we plan, how we react to the disruption is key.  Spill your coffee all over your white shirt? Have a wreck on the way to work this morning? Get unexpected test results? Recently diagnosed with cancer? Were you served divorce papers? Did you lose your job?

In my 40 years of life there have been a few disruptions.  Some much more significant than others.  Some I responded to better than others.  

When my infant son was diagnosed with cancer, I confess I literally fell apart.  Well, for several hours anyway.  However, I also realized very quickly that there was only one was through this experience - face first.  You can't make it through a tough situation with your head down and eyes closed.  You WILL fall. 

Keep your head up, literally.  Every night when you go to sleep, make a conscious decision to think about the things that were good.  No matter how small or seemingly insignificant they may be.  I remember days, lots of days when the good I focused on was: I survived, we were still breathing.    That was two things, two good things.  Two very positive things.  Two good, positive things that are basics of success.

When I was going through my divorce, I fought depression. However there is simply no way I could let depression rule my life, I am not a give up kind of person.  I am a fighter.  Every single day.   Breathing, Surviving, Making it through each day became my main focus.   As I slowly healed and grew stronger then I was able to see other good things.  

The most important thing in every difficult life situations is my right, my privilege of choice.  Choose to find happiness, choose to learn from my mistakes, OR choose to hide away, wallow in my misery, make everyone around me miserable.  

What do you choose?  Do you glare at your stained shirt all day and try to hide OR do you simply smile and say Yes, one of those days when the coffee was so amazing I wanted to keep it with me all day.

Make your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment